Rants in Your Pants

A way to vent my frustrations, that DOESN'T involve setting things on fire.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Songs of Death


Recently a paper in Britain conducted a poll to determine what the most requested songs to be played at funerals are. The number one song was James Blunt's "Goodbye My Lover", 2nd was "Angels" by Robbie Williams. you can read the article and the remaining top ten here.

I remember when I was a teenager, an acquaintance died prematurely in an automobile accident and his family had his favourite songs played at the funeral. It spurred on a conversation between my friends and I as to what we would want played at our funerals. I recall the cool choices at the time were "Black" by Pearl Jam and "Fade To Black" by Metallica. Now that I'm past my EMO phase I wonder what I would want played as one solitary song to remember me by, or that had special meaning to me.

I think the only thing I'd borrow from the top ten list in that article is "With or Without You", but only because its a kickass song from U2's best stuff. In the end I think I would want a montage of funny/serious/sentimental all mixed together. There's a song for all of those in this list:

1. Millennium- Robbie Williams
2. Fake Plastic Trees- Radiohead
3. Selling The Drama- Live
4. Shiny Happy People- REM
5. If You Could Read My Mind- Gordon Lightfoot
6. Dancing Queen- Abba
7. I am A Real American- Hulk Hogan and Rick Derringer
and the big closer....
8. Closer- NIN (only to be played if the funeral is in a church- preferably Catholic :)

Think about your own list. Its fun to imagine how people will react.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will definitely save that list and make sure they are played at your funeral.... Don't forget I get your N64...

10:56 p.m.  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Speaking of strange lists... here's a list of "the 52 most depressing songs you've ever heard":

http://skylarkd.blogspot.com/2006/05/52-most-depressing-songs-youve-ever.html

9:19 p.m.  
Blogger Ray Law said...

I would have to agree with most of these, if not all of them. I came across a similar list a couple of weeks ago....voted on by the internet public. Completely coincidently, the number one song on that list was "Fake Plastic Trees". I have to go dig out my Kenny Rogers/First edition records now.

8:30 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home