Rants in Your Pants

A way to vent my frustrations, that DOESN'T involve setting things on fire.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

"Jealousy" vs "Envy" vs "I'd Give My Left Nut"


I like to think there are subtle differences between the terms I used in the headline above. "Jealousy" to me carries a connotation that is self serving. It ignores all other factors except what is important to an individual. It wishes bad and mean spirited thoughts upon someone or something. While "envy" carries a more diplomatic tone to it ie. I "envy" someone's position but I harbor no ill will towards the person in that position. "I'd give my left nut" on the other hand describes a crazed wanting, that disregards one's own personal well being (and ability to possibly reproduce).

My friend Jason was recently featured in an on-line magazine because of a blog that he keeps, and subsequently he appeared on CBC's 'Information Morning' to discuss said website. He did a great job and I urge everyone to check him out.

Upon Jason's relay of the news that he would be featured in an on-line article and on the radio, I poked some fun at him and his sexuality, to which he replied that I was just "jealous". No my friend, I'm "envious". I'm also proud of what he's accomplished so far and "I'd give my left nut" to help him accomplish some more of the goals on his list. (mainly the drinking ones and the road trip ones).

Keep it up Barry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home