Rants in Your Pants

A way to vent my frustrations, that DOESN'T involve setting things on fire.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

I Haven't Ripped On the Conservatives In At Least 3 Minutes, I Better get A Crackin'


Firstly, why would the conservatives hold their annual convention in Mexico this year? Strange.

Secondly, let's take a look at the past week in the life of the conservative government, as it unveiled its big plan on the environment: The "Clean Air Act". The environment Minister, Rona Ambrose, has stated that the aim is to cut greenhouse-gas emissions 45-65% by the year 2050...and says the government has not turned its back on Kyoto. She talks big about fines being imposed on violators of existing guidelines/regulations (which used to be mandatory only to an extent), and setting up an 'environmental damage fund'. Here's the kicker...the government is basically saying nothing will be new, and are going to rely on consultants to tell them what to do to clean up the air by 2010...and target the biggest polluters by 2025-2030 timeframe. That's very convenient for a government that knows its chances of winning a majority in the next election will be even more slim than they were the last time. So folks, the bottom line is that there is no plan for the environment from the conservatives.

I've recently heard my local MP Rob Moore (Con) give his strong backing to the Clean Air Act on the local radio. He must have got a memo from Harper himself to get out and support this 'act' in your local media. Reason being, this makes it the 3rd time I've actually heard him speak on a topic on local radio (just a snippet on commercial radio during the morning news). I believe the other two were in regards to his opposition to same-sex marriage, and announcing a potential expansion of the Kingston Farmer's Market. He's hard-hitting ladies and gentlemen. (My riding traditionally votes conservative without regard to anything else except the colour on the background of the posters, in case you haven't figured that out from this paragraph)

Let me just say this. If I was a conservative, or conservative supporter, I probably wouldn't have the environment high on my priority list anyway. So I can see why they can easily dismiss the masses that attack their plan, and just tell dumb shits like me that they're doing something about it. My questions is 'why fake it?'. You're not going to turn the people of the country who do have environmental concerns high on their lists into conservative voters with a half-assed attempt to show interest. Why not just put more attention into the things you care about..like getting George Bush's hand wrapped around your colon. Its sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home