Rants in Your Pants

A way to vent my frustrations, that DOESN'T involve setting things on fire.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Am I Here To Amuse You?


I received a lot of comments (off line) about my last post. How it didn't meet a certain comedy standard people have come to expect... blah blah blah.. Each of these people, however, did have a favourite out of the list of 10..and most of the favourites were different from each other. So I would say mission accomplished. This is where I could put in a quote about pleasing all the people all the time...but instead, all I have to say is I'm starved for material sometimes..and if I find it funny, it makes it to the blog....whether I'm high on a bag of glue or not!

Anyway, on to today's post. There is this incredibly stupid "feature" in Rogers Hi-Speed Homepage entitled the "Photo Caption Game". The idea is they show an odd picture and ask the readers to enter a funny caption to go along with it. The problem? They won't show anything with "bad" content...swearing, sexual stuff etc. So you basically get a bunch of 8-year-old-type replies. For instance here are two for the photo that headlines this post:

1. "Well they finally managed crossbreed a Monster Truck and a car"
2. "Fed up with people not stopping for the funeral procession, Bubba's Funeral Home takes drastic measures"

Isn't #1 a literal description of the picture? What makes that funny? It might as well say "Hearse with Big Monster Truck Wheels Beside a Graveyard"
As for #2, at least they have the idea, just not any comedy edge...a typical caption for this site

I think this "game" would be a lot better if they allowed every entry to be shown. It could be funny even. My suggestion for this picture is:

BIG ASS REDNECK DEATH PARTY! CAN WE MOVE THE GIN STILL OUT OF THE BACK TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE CORPSE?

Actually that's kind of lame too. Maybe this is harder than I thought. Oh fuck it, I'm only golden when there's peacocks and ping pong balls involved. I have to go peel this bag of glue away from my face now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home